Coasts and Cols Tour - Day 2 - 'Mountains, Tailwinds and a Well Loaded Bike'

Last night's sleep was slightly hampered by the chorus of cow bells in the field next to me. I managed to get a few hours though, and rose with the sunrise, to get started on the first proper mileage day of the 'Coasts and Cols' tour.
Before descending down from my mountain top camp, I put on almost every layer of riding kit I brought with me; it turns out northern Spain in September isn't so balmy as I remember!
From the descent of that first col, I was quickly into the ascent of the next. I'm getting used to how the weight and load on the Kona handles, on the ups and downs.
Sleepy Spanish villages flew by. I was pleased with my route planning, which took me down almost deserted roads, bar the occasional tractor, moped and other cyclist.
By lunchtime, and with 110km on the clock, I was ready for a break. I wolfed down oatcakes, peanut butter, jam and malt loaf. I probably ate too much; as straight out from the small town I had stopped in, I began the biggest climb of the day, taking me up onto the Pico de Urkiolo. I was snail like. I could feel the load in my stomach, and on the bike.
The ascent onto the plateau was worth it though; the rest of the day was a series of rolling downhill roads, with a strong tailwind. The stunning Sierra de Urbasa to my right, plus a few fun gravel road sections, provided welcomed distractions from my tired legs.
Finally, my GPS showed 20km to go to my proposed end point for the day; with a final tally of 202km. I called into a small town shop, and bought some fresh fruit and cooked chicken; then proceeded onto my camping spot, which turned out to be a good one (well done Google Earth).
A dinner of noodles, with tomato and satay sauce help to revive some life into my legs. Now for a good sleep (less cow bells); before heading up and into France tomorrow!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SwissStop Disc Brake Pads Comparison Test Review – Are All Disc Brake Pads Made Equal?

Recipe – The Ultimate High Energy Flapjacks

Review – Selle Italia SLR Boost Gravel Superflow Saddle S3

Review – Scicon Aerocomfort 3.0 TSA Road Bike Bag

Review – TRP Spyre SLC Cable Disc Brakes