Planning A Mediterranean Marathon - Mallorca 312 / 600


"Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing at all." Helen Keller

Last year, I rode a number of "endurance rides"; including a 200 mile 'New Forest 200', the 303km Dragon Ride, and a non-stop 483km (300 miles) from Falmouth to London along the Trafalgar Way. Some would call it masochism, some madness; but in all honesty, I just enjoy riding my bike. I enjoy riding my bike, and seeing how far I can push my boundaries; there's no greater feeling than breaking them down and setting a new horizon.

Earlier this year, I heard about the Mallorca312 challenge; a 193 mile sportive around the perimeter of Mallorca. Perhaps it's because I'm an Islander, perhaps it's because I've spent my life-to-date doing laps of an island either in a boat or on a bike; whatever it is, I felt a real urge to take part in this sell-out sportive.

312 kilometers is a challenge in itself, a big challenge; especially when the route features 4000+ metres of elevation gain. It's going to be a 12 hour day in the saddle I expect, and I'm sure my legs will feel empty as bamboo tubes at the end; but, I decided to make it even more of a marathon...

Next week, I will travel to Mallorca to try and ride 600 kilometres in three days.

What is life if not a daring adventure, right?!

I'll be staying in the north of the island, at the Playa de Muro hotel. The plan is to do two popular routes on the first two days: one down into the mountains on the western side of the island, and the other a flatter one in the central and eastern areas. On the third day, I'll ride the Mallorca312 event.

The event looks fantastic and takes in all the highlights of Mallorca, including the Puig Major mountain climb, and the sights of coast roads and vineyards. I know some great people through social media that are also taking part in the event, and it will be fantastic to meet them en-route.

I didn't manage to get away for a warm weather training camp this year, so I'm hoping that this three day block will both be great fun, and also a help to my training. It should also be a great time to test some short sleeve jerseys and bib shorts, and find out what is the hot new kit for 2015!

I'll keep you updated with photos, videos and writing throughout the challenge on Twitter, Instagram and here on the blog. Let's start another adventure!
Route profile of the Mallorca312


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SwissStop Disc Brake Pads Comparison Test Review – Are All Disc Brake Pads Made Equal?

Recipe – The Ultimate High Energy Flapjacks

Review – Selle Italia SLR Boost Gravel Superflow Saddle S3

Review – TRP Spyre SLC Cable Disc Brakes

Review – Scicon Aerocomfort 3.0 TSA Road Bike Bag