Review: Arkel Small Handlebar Bag

On my 2011 France and Spain Touring trip I had plenty of time to consider how the bike luggage I was using could be improved upon and added to. Over those 1500 miles I created an image in my mind of the perfect kit set-up for Lite Touring; I wrote this up as my Comprehensive Lite Touring Kit List.

When I got back from the trip I spent a long time researching the best kit that I could find to take on my next big tour (which was planned for this September, but has been postponed to next year). I came across the Arkel brand; a Canadian company that makes incredibly high quality, lifetime guaranteed touring kit. I was impressed!


To test out the range I reviewed the Arkel Touring Saddlebag; it has a highly innovative design and quite frankly is the coolest and best made large saddle bag I have seen.

Spurred on by the saddle bag’s quality and the fact that Arkel has just set up a UK distribution depot (so the products no longer have to come air mail from Canada), I went in for a full Arkel set to fit my “image of the perfect Lite Touring set up”. This comprised of (in addition to the saddle bag) the Small Handlebar Bag, Dolphin 48 Waterproof Rear Panniers and Tailrider Trunk Bag. In this post I am reviewing the first of those products...

Handlebar bags are a piece of cycling luggage that is often scoffed at; some claim that they ruin the look of a bike and stop you from seeing the front wheel. However, from my touring experience, I found that they are an almost essential piece of equipment. They make your life far easier when you are on the move, by keeping your valuables close to hand and constantly in sight. I spent most of my France and Spain Touring trip wishing I had taken one.

Handlebar bags also don’t have to be cumbersome. This “small” handlebar bag from Arkel is the perfect size to fit on 42-44cm road handlebars, leaving you with plenty of space still on the bars, but enough room in the bag for everything you need to hand.

Firstly, build quality. Arkel kit all has a lifetime guarantee; that means if the stitching comes undone, the bracket breaks, or the waterproofing turns out not to be waterproof, then Arkel will replace it. That is probably the best indication of how good quality this stuff is. How many brands are that sure that their kit will keep going strong year after year? I can vouch that the Arkel quality is indeed outstanding; no stitch has been left unfinished, no detail overlooked. This really is kit capable of everything that back-and-beyond touring can throw at it.

The attribute that first drew me to the Arkel handlebar bag, compared to the competition, is its 100% waterproof design without the need for a rain cover. This is achieved through a neat two part system; the lid of the bag is fully waterproof (even more so because the map cover sits on top of it), the lid is then zipped to the main compartment with a waterproof zip, and then the main compartment is lined with a seamless waterproof “bag” that zips in and out. The design means that your belongings are effectively encapsulated by a seamless waterproof system when the lid is closed, and any water that gets through the outer seams of the main compartment will not reach your kit because the waterproof liner prevents it. Far better than having to take off a rain cover whenever you want to access your kit!

The second superb feature of the Arkel bag is the clear map case on the lid of the bag. The case is made of a high quality clear plastic, which looks like it certainly shouldn't discolour with UV exposure. You can either have the case folded back on itself to minimise the size, or you can fold it out for maximum coverage of the territory that you are exploring. 


The third great feature that is worth shouting about with the Arkel handlebar bag design is the bracket that fixes the bag to the handlebar. The handlebar part of the bracket consists of two neat aluminium mounts, which affix to the handlebars with allen key bolt clamps. The bag then has two slider fixings with metal clips; this means the bag simply slides on and off the bracket. These brackets on the bag can be covered by a velcro flap when the bag is off the bike, to prevent them catching on clothing whilst you are carrying it. The whole mounting system is simple, yet highly robust and secure; I would quite happily take the bag off-road and be sure that it would stay put. 
Additional great features include a sturdy shoulder strap that tucks under the map case when not in use; as well as a secure zipper pocket on the front for items that do not need to be kept in the waterproof compartment. This front pocket even has a light clip on it, so that you can clip on a high visibility light at night-time! To add even more organisation, there are also neat mesh pockets on the sides of the bag, which are ideal for stashing food in. That's a lot of features for a "small" product.

This really is a great bit of kit, and I won't be going on another bike tour without it. The build quality is fantastic, and the features plentiful and well thought out.

I will be reviewing more of the products from the Arkel range over the coming months, but it is well worth checking them out yourself. They can all be ordered directly from Arkel online: www.panniers.com.


Comments

  1. where did you get the bag - struggling to find stockist

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can get the whole range mail order from http://www.panniers.com/

    Hope that helps
    T

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, great review. I've just got a Trek Domane 4.5 (carbon fibre frame, alloy handlebars), so the small handlebar bag looks like it should be OK to fit but I'm just concerned about the effect on steering. Not that I will be carrying anything really heavy but the Arkel bag is heavier than most to start with. What's your experience in this respect please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adding a handlebar bag does make steering a bit more sluggish, but I don't think the slightly heavier nature of the Arkel bag makes any difference compared to most handlebar bags. If you're interested to see the effect of handlebar bags in general, you could try strapping a small dry bag to your bars with a bungee cord, just to feel the added weight; before you buy an actual handlebar bag.

      Delete
  4. Hello, thanks for the review! I am thinking of getting the Arkel handlebar bag for some light touring (already have the BB signature and really like it, but I want something bigger). I am having trouble deciding between the small and large sizes, though. Do you have any experience with the large handlebar bag? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have only tried the Small version, but I would be cautious to go any bigger; you probably shouldn't be putting that much strain on your handlebars. If you need more storage at the front of the bike then I would suggest a front rack

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

SwissStop Disc Brake Pads Comparison Test Review – Are All Disc Brake Pads Made Equal?

Recipe – The Ultimate High Energy Flapjacks

Review – Selle Italia SLR Boost Gravel Superflow Saddle S3

Review – TRP Spyre SLC Cable Disc Brakes

Review – Scicon Aerocomfort 3.0 TSA Road Bike Bag