Coast Road Epic


This time last week I was sat at the train station in Exeter having completed 128.1 miles in 8hrs 8mins of cycling from Sandown (Isle of Wight) to Exeter (Devon).

Why?! I'm not quite sure, and my legs were asking the same question when I was going up and down the last few of the coastal villages along the Lyme Bay Coast Road, which is potentially one of the hilliest sections of road in the country; sporting back-to-back 15%+ inclines and declines for almost its whole duration.

Having said that, I loved every minute of it; from the early wake up call and the first twenty miles across the Isle of Wight to catch the ferry, I was enjoying the unusual feeling that I was actually using my bike to get somewhere far away. Not just a training ride or a commute, but a marathon. Whilst there was mist and fog for the first few hours of riding around Poole and Bournemouth, by the time I had passed Weymouth the sun was shining and the coast road looking its beautiful self.

When I arrived in Exeter I got on a train to Falmouth and then joined the family for a sailing holiday across to the Channel Islands where I did some more great riding. But the Coast Road ride will be in my memory for a while, the longest trip that I have done in one day, and probably one of the hilliest as well.
Bring on a bit more A-to-B riding in the future!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SwissStop Disc Brake Pads Comparison Test Review – Are All Disc Brake Pads Made Equal?

Recipe – The Ultimate High Energy Flapjacks

Review – Selle Italia SLR Boost Gravel Superflow Saddle S3

Review – TRP Spyre SLC Cable Disc Brakes

Review – Scicon Aerocomfort 3.0 TSA Road Bike Bag