2013 Season Objectives: What did I tick off?

Last November I wrote a post on Objectives for 2013: In and Out of the saddle, so with the 2013 season now done and dusted and the start of the 2014 base mile training beginning, I thought I would give an update on what got ticked off in 2013. (I'll write another post in a few weeks on 'Objectives for 2014').


Objective #1: 1st/2nd Cat Road Licence - Completed!
My objective in terms of licence holding was to either maintain my second category race licence or to attain my first category licence. With my final year of university, exams and being in France for three weeks in the summer the chance of racing enough to get enough points to get up to first cat. was not realistic. So I was happy to maintain my second category licence this year, and perhaps next year with a bit more time I will be able to get up to first category.


Objective #2: Do a hill climb season - Part Complete
I can't really say that this is completed. I did one hill climb in October, I won it, but I certainly haven't done a season. I lacked motivation late in the year and the local hill climbs didn't really have the draw they needed to get myself up at early o'clock on a Sunday to attend. I need to have a think about whether it is feasible to do some hill climb events next year.


Objective #3: South Downs Way in One Day - Completed!
Without doubt the longest day in the saddle I have done to date, on the longest day of the year I completed the South Downs Way in one day. Read the full blog here (link). I did the ride with a great group, two of who are now my colleagues! It was a long day, a very long day, but it was well worth it!


Objective #4: EPIC Tour MkII - Failed (postponed) 
With so much else going on this year I didn't have the time to organise or take part in another epic tour in Europe on the bike. However, rest assured, I plan to complete my second "Grand Tour" next year and I'm very much looking forward to it! I already have all of the superb Arkel Luggage (Link) for the next tour.


Objective #5 and #6: Sponsorship and New Race Bike - Part Complete
Sponsorship has been gradually progressing for me throughout 2013. For 2014 I will be supported by Wiggle, GripGrab, Maxifuel, Natural Hero and several other smaller firms. All the support is hugely welcomed, and makes racing and riding far more enjoyable and financially easier. I can't thank them enough. 2014 will also see me with a new race bike I hope - joining Team Wiggle should mean that I have a great new steed to race on for the new season.


Objective #7: Blog To 150,000 Views - Completed!
A quick glance at the view counter at the top of the blog shows that it smashed the 150,000 individual unique page views mark earlier this year. In fact it might be pushing 200,000 by the end of the year. The blog really has gone from strength to strength this year, so thank you so much for reading!


Objective #8: A New Job - Completed!
In June this year I graduated from Warwick with a First in Economics, in July I moved back to the Isle of Wight and went for an interview at Wiggle Bike Shop in Portsmouth, in August I was extremely pleased to accept a job offer to join the "Rich Content" team at Wiggle. I now work for the firm providing content for the Wiggle Blog and Wiggle Guides sites, as well as helping to liaise with content providers and sharers. It's a great company to work for, and it's great to be back on the South coast. I am enjoying every minute.


2013 has been a challenging year at times; with my finals, graduation and job hunting. However, it has also been a very successful one both on and off the bike. Bring on 2014! 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SwissStop Disc Brake Pads Comparison Test Review – Are All Disc Brake Pads Made Equal?

Recipe – The Ultimate High Energy Flapjacks

Review – Selle Italia SLR Boost Gravel Superflow Saddle S3

Review – Scicon Aerocomfort 3.0 TSA Road Bike Bag

Review – TRP Spyre SLC Cable Disc Brakes